About Phillips Temple
WITH FAITH. HOPE. LOVE. PRAISE
We honor God in our worship and service.
Founded in 1907, our Church was established for the purpose of providing a place to gather, worship and praise the Lord; and we invite others to come and join in with us. We focus on ways to strengthen our faith and learn, grow, and know God. Becoming a church member means joining a family devoted to expressing their love of God.
In 1907, Rev. John Taylor, a C.M.E. Mission Preacher, was sent to Indianapolis from Louisville, Kentucky. His mission was to establish a C.M.E. Church in the Indianapolis area. A few days later, the first prayer service of that C.M.E. Mission was held at 702 Fayette Street, the home of Mr. and Mrs. Gip Ringo. Those present at that service were Rev. John W. Goode, Rev. John Taylor, Mr. Gip Ringo, Mrs. Anna L. Ringo, Mrs. Alice Lewis, little Miss Emma Ringo (Goode) and her two brothers. For several weeks Church Services were held in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ringo. Rev. John Taylor and Mr. Gip. Ringo later rented a space in the old Victors Building, located on the N/W corner of 12th and West Streets, for the Mission Church to hold its meetings. In 1992 the Church relocated to the former Christian Scientist Church Building located at 210 East 34th Street.
Mission & VIsion
The mission of Phillips Temple C.M.E. Church is to share the saving grace of God and the love of Jesus Christ to all people.
The vision of Phillips Temple C.M.E. Church is to be a living church that is financially secure, with adequate facilities to meet the social, economical, emotional, and educational needs of people of all ages by equipping them to obtain spiritual maturity through the word of God.
“Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.”
Proverbs 27:17 (KJV)